Alternate Energy Inc. Scholarship
For 20 years, Alternate Energy Inc. has been a frontrunner in Hawaii’s solar energy movement, helping educate residents on the environmental and financial benefits to alternate energy sources. This year, we are offering a scholarship to Hawaii students (Hawaii residents and out-of-state students studying in Hawaii are eligible).
- Scholarship Amount: $1000
- Deadline for Entry: Sunday, July 27, 2014
- Scholarship Award Date: Monday, August 11, 2014
- Number of Winners Selected: 1
- Minimum GPA Requirement: 2.50
- Eligible Fields of Study: All
- Eligible Schools: Any accredited university in the U.S.
- Eligible Grade Levels: Both Undergraduate and Graduate-level students for the 2014 - 2015 academic year are eligible
- Eligible Students: Both Hawaii residents attending any accredited university in the U.S., or out-of-state residents attending any accredited university in the state of Hawaii are eligible
Please choose one of the two essays below to complete for the application.
Submit your essay as a PDF with a title page including the following information:
- Field of Study
- Year of School
- Phone Number
- Email Address
- Name your file as follows: "lastname-firstname-essay-1.pdf" for essay #1 or "lastname-firstname-essay-2.pdf" for essay #2
Email your application to email@example.com
Complete the short survey linked here (survey is required but not used in the scholarship decision process).
In 500 words, please explain how you feel sustainability makes Hawaii a better place to live and how a more sustainable Hawaii impacts your day-to-day life.
Hawaii has a history of pushing for a more solar friendly state legislature, going back to 1976 with the passing of the Energy Tax Act. However, we are still quite a ways away from a mass solar energy adoption in the state.
In 500 words, please explain how you would push state legislation and non-solar energy providers toward a more widely adopted solar-powered Hawaii.